A Helpful Guide to Video Poker Strategy
We want to ensure that all of our readers get the best odds when playing at the casino, and you won’t get much better odds than the video poker machines. However, if you want to achieve these returns, you need to play these video poker machines with a proper strategy, so read on to find out the optimal video poker strategy.
Tips for Video Poker Strategy
We’ve had our experts come up with some helpful video poker tips that will help you learn how to win and play video poker. Video poker strategy can help your skills to win video poker jackpot. While outcomes are determined by a random number generator, these tips are essential while playing your favourite video poker machine.
Always Play Max Coins
When you play video poker, the most profitable way to play is usually to bet the maximum. Playing with the maximum number of coins increases your chances of winning and hitting a big jackpot.
Choose Low Pairs Over a Single High Card
While both low pairs and single high cards are low scoring hands, you still need to play these hands correctly. Keeping a low pair is more profitable than the high card, as the higher payouts for two pairs and three of a kind give them the edge over high cards.
Get to Know Your Pay Tables!
Before you decide to play online video poker, you must check the paytables. As it is written in Wikipedia, pay tables allocate the payouts for hands and are based on how rare they are, the game variation, and the decision of the game operator. The paytables affect your strategy, which affects your potential winnings.
Know the Right Time to Break Up a Straight or Flush
Video poker players always want to feel the thrill of getting a Royal Flush, as they often have progressive jackpots. If you have four to a royal flush, it’s worth breaking a strong hand.
The Basic Rules of Video Poker
Unlike slots, video poker requires you to make strategic decisions. If you don’t play optimally, you won’t hit the high RTP rates possible in this better video poker.
- Place a bet
- Discard up to five cards and draw new ones
- Click “Draw” to receive cards
- Check for winning hands
The Jacks or Better Rules
Jacks or Better is a video poker game that is arguably the best-known variant to play on video poker machine. It’s the game you’ll most commonly find at online casinos, so it’s worth knowing how to play. Look at the essential rules you should know when playing Jacks or Better video poker.
- You must make a pair of jacks or higher to have a qualifying hand.
- There are nine poker hands a player can make in Jacks or Better.
- You are only paid for the highest value you hand you make.
Bonus, Double Bonus and Double Double Bonus Poker Rules
These video poker game variants are based on the popular Jacks or Better variant but with bonus payouts! Each variant of Bonus Poker has a different paytable at online casinos, which makes them different from Jacks or Better video poker.
- There are more winning hands in this type of pokergame.
- The average payout percentage varies depending on the video poker machine.
- Variants of four of a kind are paid higher in this variant.
The Rules of Deuces Wild and Jokers Wild
Another popular variant amongst casino goers is the Deuces Wild or Jokers Wild variant of video poker. This game has one key difference: you can substitute any deuce or joker card to be any card in the deck. Let’s take a closer look at the unique rules of Deuces Wild and Jokers Wild.
- Wild cards can replace any card in the deck.
- Payout scales are lower on these video poker machines.
- “Natural” royal flushes pay more than wild royal flushes.
- Five-of-a-kind is possible in this game.
Top Strategies for Popular Video Poker Variants
There are several video poker variants, and the optimal strategy differs. We’ve outlined the key tips to play video poker and help you hit that progressive jackpot and strategy different samples you can read here:
Jacks or Better
- Always draw if you have four to a royal flush.
- Always break a low pair if you have four to a flush.
- Always break a straight if you have four to a straight flush.
- Holding low pairs is better than drawing high cards.
- If you don’t have a pair, hold all cards that are a Jack or higher.
- Always hold four deuces.
- Always hold if you have three cards to a royal flush.
- Only stand on three deuces if your hand is a royal flush or five of a kind.
- If your hand has no deuces, hold all paying combinations.
- If you have a low pair but no deuces, hold the pair.
- Break a full house to draw to four aces, 2s, 3s, or 4s.
- Break two pairs to draw to four aces, 2s, 3s, or 4s.
- Break a low pair to draw to a straight.
- Discard your hand if you have no pairs.
- If your hand has no pair, always draw to a three-card straight flush.
Aces and Faces
- Always draw if you have four to a royal with a progressive jackpot.
- Only break low pairs to draw to a four-flush.
- Choose low pairs overdrawing to high cards.
- Always bet a maximum of five coins.
- Don’t break a winning hand unless you are drawing to a royal flush.
Joker Poker / Jokers Wild
- Always draw if you have four to a natural royal flush.
- Without a joker, break a low pair for a four-flush or inside straight draw.
- Without a joker, hold two pairs or better unless drawing to a natural royal.
- With a joker, break all one pair of hands to draw to a four-card flush.
- Always bet the maximum.
Tens or Better
- Always draw if you have four to a royal flush poker hand.
- It’s better to hold low pairs than draw to high cards.
- Always bet the maximum.
- Never break a winning hand unless you are drawing to a royal.
- Discard your whole hand if it has nothing of value.
How to Find the Right Casino
Playing video poker is only half the battle if you want to maximise your returns. Knowing online casinos where you can get a good game is essential. We’ve outlined what you should be looking for from an online casino, and samples you can read here:
High Payout Percentages (RTP)
An RTP rate or payout percentage tells you the average payout you can expect from a game over the long run. For example, if you play at a casino with a 96% payout percentage, on average, you’ll receive $96 back for every $100 you bet. Some casinos have higher payout percentages than others, so it’s always a good idea to find the ones with the highest RTP rates.
Generous Bonus Offers
One of the benefits of playing at the real money online casinos are the range of offers, percentage tells, and online casino promotions they have for players. These bonus offers can offer a significant boost to your bankroll and allow you to play video poker for longer. However, you should always check the terms and conditions for withdrawal restrictions and wagering requirements before accepting a bonus, as it may impact your ability to use it.
Most importantly, you must stay safe when signing up for any online casino account and accepting a bonus. The best way to do this is to check the licensing status of any site you’re looking to join, as well as the security measures they take to keep your data safe.
While video poker is a fun game with a great RTP rate, you need to utilise poker strategy if you want to maximise your returns. You’ll find a different strategy for each video poker variant at an online casino, so make sure you pick the one that applies to your game. Once you’ve mastered playing video poker, use our helpful tips to find the best online casino to suit your needs, and you can play video poker online.